Can I save on electricity without investing into solar?
There are a lot of easy, low-cost things you can do at home to save money on your power bills.
1. Switch to energy efficient LED lights. Generally, lighting accounts for around 5% of household electricity consumption. For example: in many cases LED light bulbs use up to 75% less energy than an equivalent incandescent bulb and up to 30% less than CFL bulbs.
2. Switch off appliances that are on standby and turn off appliances that don’t need to be on. Maybe even put some appliances on a timer.
3. Reduce heating and cooling costs by insulating ceilings, walls and floors and stopping drafts from doors and windows. Double glazed windows make a big difference.
4. Cool your home efficiently, for example with highly efficient air-conditioners which can use around 20 to 25% less electricity than older models.
5. If you have an electric hot water system, reduce your hot water usage by installing a star rated (efficient) showerhead or taking shorter showers. Also if you think of getting solar, a hot water heat pump is a great way to make electricity and utilise your solar system well.
6. Keep the fridge clean, well ventilated and do not place the fridge and stove close to each other. Defrost regularly.
7. Use curtains and shutters to keep the sun out during summer. Consider installing louvres our small shade roofs - above the windows.
8. Use cold water to wash clothes and the sun to dry them. If you have a dryer, use it during the day when your solar system generates the most electricity eg from 10.30am to 5pm.
9. When building, renovating, renting or buying a home, aim for high energy-efficiency appliances and install energy-efficient appliances and lighting. Do not have the fridge located right next to the stove.
10. Use timers to start and turn off electric heaters in winter to minimize the hours us
Following the energy saving tips above will assist you and your family to reduce your electricity bills. Adding a solar system to your home or business will help you to further reduce your electricity bills. Find out more about solar by contacting an Authorized LG Solar installation Partner. You can find them here: https://www.lgenergy.com.au/dealer