What makes a good quality solar system
A solar power system has a number of considerations to ensure a customers are satisfied for many years:
- The solar panels purchased should be from a known and diversified manufacturer, so in future years you can receive follow up service or warranty back up, as the company is still around. Some solar only manufacturers are currently in financial distress. Just read up on the internet about these issues.
- Only use high quality inverters with your system. The inverter undertakes the key work in your system. Every time there is a cloud and change in weather the inverter adjusts the output. Therefore an inverter never stops during the day. High quality brands which work well with your LG panels can be recommended by your local LG installer. Please avoid cheap inverters.
- Framing systems. There is no point buying quality panels and inverter and not fastening them with a quality framing system. Your authorised LG solar dealer can provide you with solid advice.
- Warranties - There are now decade long warranties available from solar system component manufacturers. Warranties are only as good as the companies that back them. Stick to the leaders in the industry. Ask about local service centres and how warranty processes will be executed. The solar industry is maturing and the leading companies are diversified and have solid balance sheets. If you have never heard of the manufacturer, then stay away.
- Quality of installation and after installation service. No point buying high quality components and have them installed poorly. Use a LG authorised dealer or someone who has been installing for a while. You do not want to have broken tiles or poor cabling run as a legacy of a poor and rushed installation job. What after service does the company provide? Are they locally based, or do they just came into town for a quick sell solar and run. Always choose local diversified solar install businesses over travelling solar install teams, which will be gone when you need after install service. Buy cheap - buy twice, it's certainly true for solar.
- Good system design. The solar system needs to be custom designed for the size, location and equipment used in the location. E.g. the number of panels in a series, the distance from panels to the inverter and switchboard etc can all influence the way the solar power system performs.
- Balance of System components - Isolator, safety switches, switch enclosures, cables/ wires all need to be high quality and fit for purpose. Using poor quality components, increases risk of failure and may be a safety risk. Good quality solar panel and inverter system designers are more likely to use high quality additional components, instead of a system sale solely on price;
- Good installation. Even a well designed system, with quality equipment will not overcome poor installation. This would include not enough clamps to secure the system properly, silicon solutions for roof penetration, instead of avoiding penetrations, but running cables slightly different (which might mean a bit more labour). The LG authorised network of dealers pride themselves in proper install workmanship.