When is solar NOT suitable for my home?
Many homes and businesses in Australia are suitable for solar energy; There are, however, a few instances when the solar power system is not suitable for you.
Some examples include:
1. The orientation of your most suitable roof is South, South West or South East facing, as southern roofs draw much less power making power generation very expensive. The best roof orientation will depend on your daily consumption pattern; your installer (LG Dealer Search) can advise you on this.
2. The roof with the correct orientation does not have any space because of chimneys, hot water solar panels, pool solar heat tubing, or skylights.
3. There are many trees shading your roof or the shadow of the building next door throws shade on your roof for significant times of the day. In some instances micro-inverters can assist in these situations; your authorized LG solar installer (LG Dealer Search) can advise you on this.
4. The roof of your home is made from asbestos. In this case it is very much recommended you replace your roof before installing solar power.
5. Your roof tiles are slate, very old and break easy when stood on, or you have a very rusted metal roof; in this case you would need to fix your roof before installing a solar system.
6. If the system has to be installed at a distance from the home (like at farm sheds) and the additional cost of running the electricity wires and poles back to the meter outweighs the return on investment.
7. You are out of your house or premises for most of the time, therefore not using the solar power when it is generated. The unused solar power will be exported to the grid which your energy retailer will credit you on average 11 cents per kW, making the investment in solar financially less attractive. In this case solar would be more suitable if you also install a battery storage system, so you can use the solar energy at night.
Each home has its own unique characteristics and we suggest that you talk to your solar installer to see if a solar power system will benefit you. Please look for an LG Energy Partner here: https://www.lgenergy.com.au/dealer